Construction on the current TWU Student Union began in 1968.
The doors opened in 1970 and the Union was named for Mary
Eleanor Brackenridge,
the 1913 president of the Texas Woman Suffrage Association. The original Union held a variety of meeting rooms for student organizations, a variety of offices, a post office, as well as, lounge and study space for students. 

The timeline of services and additions were as follows:
1970      Current building opened & dining options moved into the Union.
1980’s   Union added the TWU Bookstore, a travel agency, and a game room. 
1992      Underground Dining & additional bookstore space were added.
2001      Union underwent a reconditioning. 
  • The Bakers Dozen and Garden Room both received a new look 
  • The Purple Lobby was added as well as additional programming space
  • Outdoor patio areas were created 
  • Art Gallery was created
2003     Game room relocated from the first floor to the Underground.

2004     Underground added additional seating, food concepts, and computers.

2009     Underground seating and game room expansions.

2011     US Post Office closed.